Highlights of Next Exam meeting held on 23rd July 2023
Next Step 1 – Objective
· The Next Step 1 will be a comprehensive computer- based examination based on high-quality Multiple-choice Questions (MCQs) ensuring objectivity and following nation-wide delivery and conduction with robust fidelity in a secure manner.
· The MCQ items would address higher domains of knowledge aligned to competencies expected of an India Medical Graduate or a graduate practicing modern system of medicine, especially in India.
Next Step 1- Distribution of items and knowledge level of Questions (approx..)
Problems -solving and analytical skill
Level of knowledge
Nice to know
Next Step 1- Papers and distribution of subjects
No of items
Medicine & allied subjects
Surgery & allied subjects
Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Next Step 1 – Proposed time schedule of papers (Table 2)
The below schedule is only indicative subject to feasibility and logistics
Medicine & allied subjects
Rest Day no examination
Surgery & Allied subjects
Rest Day: No examination
Obstetrics & Gyanecology
Next Step 2 – Objective
· The Next Step 2 shall be a comprehensive practical / clinical examination to be conducted after completion of internship that evaluated competencies in clinical diagnosis, patient examination and clinical decision-making, practical and communication skills necessary for practice of modern system of medicine especially in India.
Next Step 2 – Evaluation Methods
· Each examination would comprise of:-
o Actual cases
o Objective structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
o Simulations if possible
· Depending on the ability of satisfactory or unsatisfactory performance there shall be only two level of grading “Competent or “pass”/ “Not Competent” or “Fail.”
Next Step 2 – Distribution of subjects
· The following subjects shall be evaluated during Next Step2:
o Medicine and allied subjects
o Surgery and allied subjects
o Obstetrics and Gyanecology
o Orthopedics and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PMR)
Next Step 2 – Time schedule
· The time schedule and modalities of Next step 2 shall be decided by the National Medical commission and the respective authorized Universities / institutions after completions of internship and prior to the admission process for the Postgraduate Courses of that year.
Tentative time schedule of Next examination and associated events
· The time schedule of the entire process of Next examination internship and admission to broad specialty Postgraduate courses shall be announced by the commission and other bodies authorized by the commission.
Date of exam/ commencement
Date of result/ completion
Next Step 1
May / November
1st week of June / December
III MBBS /Final MBBS part 2 practical / Clinical university examination
1st week of June/ December
3rd week of June/December
31st December/30th June following year
Next Step 2 Regular
3rd week of June /Dec.
4th week of June /Dec.
Next step 2 supplementary
1st week Sep/March
3rd Week Sep/March
Post Graduate Admission
1st July/1st week January
Note: There shall again be a counselling in the month of December for the seats which remain vacant after earlier counselling held in May-June.
Conduction of Mock/ Practice Test
· It is decided to conduct a mock/ practice test on 28th July 2023.
· Registration for the same will start on 28th June 2023.
· This examination will be conducted by AIIMS Delhi as a designated authority for Next Step 1.
· Only final year students pursuing M.B.B.S. courses in the medical colleges/ institutions are eligible for such mock/practice test.
· Aim of such test is to familiarize the prospective candidates with the Computer Based Test (CBT), software interface and process flow in the examination center. The sample questions in the Mock/Practice will only exemplify pattern and format of the Next Step 1 examination. Still, they may not represent the complete Next Step I examination/syllabus coverage.
Disclaimer: Complete details of the Next examination is being notified through regulation separately. So, anything containing or spoken in this presentation will be superseded by such regulation.